7.01.2006

i love ESPN

Just a quick note on how much I love ESPN. For those of us left in the world without cable TV we can still catch live streaming coverage of the world cup games via ESPN360 online. Wish I had knew of this earlier in the tournament! At least I'll be able to see the two semi-final games without the crappy ABC commentary.

I was bummed to see England lose today to Portugal. I really wanted to witness Crouch doing his post-goal dance . The Portugal keeper, Ricardo, seemed to be clairvoyant during the penalty kicks blocking 3 of the 4 pk's.

Back to online coverage of Brazil v. France. I remember watching these two teams play in the 1998 World Cup final onboard the USS Wasp during my last Mediterranean Deployment in the U.S. Navy. The deployment was during the summer of '98 and all of Europe was intent on the World Cup in France during our tour. It was quite an experience to see just how much football/soccer is a global sport. Too bad the majority of U.S. seems to close-minded to embrace soccer and support the national team on a higher level. Well, back to the game....thanks to ESPN!!

Author's Note: France upsets Brazil 1-0!! Sorry, Timmy but your countrymen didn't look like they had the legs that the French did. Zidane put on quite a show with his amazing footwork. Also, is it me or does the French keeper, Fabien Barthez, look like Moby?

No comments: