10.16.2006

justice

From the book of Micah, Chapter 6, Verse 8: He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [from the ESV version of The Bible].

This was a reminder that drop-kicked me in service yesterday. That regardless of how daunting and frustrating it can be to see so much pain & hurt in this world, we as Christian's must continue to seek out and do justice (even in areas that our government blatantly overlooks). We must do this in a kind & merciful way; and we must continue to walk humbly. Something we Americans are lacking in......after all the Manifest Destiny we've gorged ourselves on.

2 comments:

Nate Myers said...

...and i'm in.

Thanks for the comment, and yes, I agree with you (you probably already could tell that from the post). Clinton had his weaknesses, but don't we all? At least he doesn't cloud the picture by sidestepping honest questions about how his "Christianity" informs the way he acts.

It probably is an issue of semantics, really, but (from my perspective) Clinton strikes me as much more in line (big picture) with the agenda of Jesus than GDub does (even though he claims "born-again" status). But that's my personal opinion...I put the Clinton interview right next to the Lauer/Bush interview b/c I think it illustrates the point you were making. I desperately try to understand where Bush is coming from, I do. I promise! It's just a struggle for me.

And now...I'm out.

Nate Myers said...

just so i'm not hijacking here, your post on justice is one that is important to always be aware of. How well do our lives line up with that foundational responsibility as Christfollowers?

And how would that change public perception of Christianity if we all honestly and transparently pursued acting justly, loving, mercy, and walking humbly before God?

Some folks have done studies on this kind of thing, and the first two things that pop out of people's heads (for what that's worth) are that Christians are "judgmental and homophobic."